6-year-old electrocuted

Correspondent
Mairang, Jan 19:
A six-year-old boy is in a critical condition after he was electrocuted today at Dong Umwiehsup Pyndengumiong here.

As per the leaders of the village, the boy was playing in a field next to his home where the Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited (MeECL) has installed a transformer.

They said that the gate of the fencing around the transformer is never locked. “We believe that while he was playing, the boy wandered into the fenced up area which is never locked and got electrocuted in the process,” the village leaders added.

Meanwhile, they also informed that they have made several appeals to the MeECL office at Mairang for the gate to be locked keeping in mind the safety of the residents, especially the children. “However we were told that this cannot be done as there is a constant change of personnel who have to take care of the maintenance and repair of the transformer,” they said.

“It was sheer providence that there was a sudden disruption of power as soon as people close to the transformer noticed what had happened and they were able to rush to the boy’s aid,” they added.

Blaming the MeECL of sheer negligence which led to the electrocution today, the family of the injured boy, accompanied by members of the HYC Mairang Circle and Nongthliew Circle have filed a FIR at Mairang police station.

The leaders of the village said that after the accident, MeECL personnel came to the spot and tied up the gate with some wire.
They have also demanded compensation for the injured boy who is presently undergoing treatment at Nazareth Hospital, Shillong.