New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) Indian Railways on Friday cancelled the tender for the manufacturing of 44 rakes of Train 18, which has been re-christened as Vande Bharat Express, and said a fresh tender will be floated within a week’s time, focusing on Make in India as a Chinese Joint Venture also applied as a foreign bidder.
The Ministry of Railways in a statement said: “Tender for manufacturing of 44 sets of semi high-speed train set (Vande Bharat) has been cancelled.”
“A fresh tender will be floated within a week as per revised public procurement (Preference to Make in India) order,” it added.
The decision came after the Chinese joint venture company CRRC Pioneer Electric (India) Private Limited emerged as the only foreign bidder for the global tender floated for manufacturing 44 rakes of Vande Bharat trains.
The Chennai-based ICF has invited bids for procurement of electric traction kits for Train 18, the country’s first self-propelled train without locomotives.
Train 18 was manufactured by ICF, which is owned by the Indian Railways, with over 80 per cent indigenous materials and was rolled out in October 2018 amidst much fanfare.
The train was later re-christened as Vande Bharat express and was introduced between New Delhi and Varanasi, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s parliamentary constituency, in February last year. In October last year, the second Vande Bharat Express train was introduced between New Delhi and Katra.
In November 2019, the railway board gave a go-ahead to ICF to resume manufacturing of the semi high-speed trains. Subsequently, the ICF had called for bids for procuring electric traction kits for 44 train sets. Each set of trains has got 16 coaches.
In December last year, Indian Railways had planned to complete the production of 44 more new rakes on India’s 75th Independence day. All the coaches of Vande Bharat Express have a stainless steel car body equipped with automatic doors with sliding footsteps, on-board computers for train control and remote monitoring. The coaches also have a GPS-based audio-visual passenger information system, on-board hotspot WiFi and comfortable seating arrangements.
- BJP to pursue peace talks process with HNLCStaff Reporter Shillong, March 31: BJP leader and cabinet minister AL Hek has stated that the party will continue to push the Centre to initiate peace talks with the proscribed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC). Hek said today that the party could not take up the matter with the central government in view of the […]
- ‘No violation’ of model code in GHStaff Reporter Shillong, March 30: There has been no violation of the model code of conduct ahead of the election to the Garo Hills Autonomous District Council on April 12, said District Council Affairs Minister Lahkmen Rymbui today. “As of now nothing has come to my knowledge,” he added. Rymbui said the returning officers are […]
- AYC demands repair of NGH schoolCorrespondent Tura, March 30: Taking cognisance of the extremely poor condition of the Mandadrop Lower Primary School in Kharkutta in North Garo Hills (NGH), the Achik Youth Council (AYC) has written to the deputy commissioner of the district seeking immediate repair of the school and its buildings. “The students are in a very difficult situation […]
- Holi colours for poor kidsStaff Reporter Shillong, March 29: SPARK, a city-based NGO, today organised a programme on the occasion of Holi for underprivileged children. Following the safety protocols, the festival was celebrated with songs and colours. The event commenced with the national anthem followed by a prayer service. Shima Modak, founder and president of SPARK, narrated the story […]
- State fails to realise excise dutyStaff Reporter Shillong, March 28: The Comptroller and Auditor General of India has revealed that the Commissioner of Excise (CoE) failed to realise excise duty of Rs 10.56 lakh from four bonded warehouses that failed to execute eight import permits. The CoE (May 2014 and February 2015) advised that all import permits not executed within […]
- Man held for EJH girl’s murderStaff Reporter Shillong, March 27: The state police today arrested the prime accused in the murder of a 16-year-old school girl in East Jaintia Hills. The girl’s body was found by labourers loading coal in a forest at 2 Kilo under Sutnga Elaka. AIG GK Iangrai said the case was transferred to the Crime Branch […]
- Roadshow on Nasha Mukt Bharat AbhiyanStaff Reporter Shillong, March 27: The office of the District Social Welfare Officer in collaboration with the District Administration, East Khasi Hills District is conducting a two-day roadshow on Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyan on March 25 and 26. The aim of the road show was to create awareness on the ill effects of substance abuse […]
- Night curfew extended; March 28 exemptedStaff Reporter Shillong, March 26: The East Khasi Hills administration has extended the ongoing night curfew in the district from March 27 to April 2. It will be effective from 12 am to 5 am every day. The order said the night curfew will be lifted on March 28 on the occasion of Shab-e-Barat celebration. […]